Friday, July 24, 2026

Goodbye Kibeau

 

Last Saturday my sweet Kibeau crossed the rainbow bridge. He had declined rapidly - I'm still shocked about how quickly; one day he was jumping a six foot fence, two days later he couldn't walk ten feet without resting. Granted, he was a very old cat - 18 years, which translates to 85+ human years. But that didn't make it any easier. Renee, Kibeau's "legal" owner, eventually found a vet who would come to our home. It was very peaceful, I stayed with Kibeau until the very end. I had been his person for the last six years and there was no way I wouldn't be at his side for his last journey.

I admit, I haven't cried that much in a long time than I did the last few days.

Here I wrote how he became my cat. The following photo is the very first picture I took of him when he turned up in my garden in the fall of 2018.

Back then I was already fascinated by his paws.

He had the cutest paws - big and chubby, and ready to extend those claws!




Like all cats, he was a master snoozer.



In 2020 he began staying in our garden full-time, no going home anymore and Renee asked us if we could feed him. Of course we could. I have to give it to her, she took it very gracefully that Kibeau wouldn't go home to her anymore. I guess there were too many other cats in his home plus a dog - and he really hated dogs. When I thought about the timing later, I realized that he decided to stay here shortly after Kaefer had left for Germany.

He adored Kaefer!

Because of the Geek's severe allergies, Kibeau couldn't come into the house, so he became the most spoiled and pampered outdoor cat in the neighborhood. I got him a cat house, friends of ours gave us a heating pad that their little dog didn't like (and Kibeau loved) and it's emparrassing to admit how many blankets he had so that he would stay warm in those cold winter nights.

He was there when I put the laundry on the line, sat with me while I was knitting or just snozzed in the flower beds.



One day we hadn't closed the screen door completely and suddenly he turned up in our bedroom.

Of course he took his sweet time checking out everything and being cute.

Sometimes I let him in my studio where he enjoyed sitting at the window. looking out. While I was trying to follow along a creative writing course on Zoom, he thought it was appropriate to take a nap on top of my notebook.


He was such a rascal!


But in the last few days he reached his ultimate goal - our couch. The Geek, my allergic husband, took dozens of pictures of Kibeau sleeping on our couch. He is such a softie.

Kibeau had worked his way into our hearts and he has a special place there. I will always remember him very fondly.

And today, Kibeau is my star for Nicole's Friday Face Off.





21 comments:

Christine said...

Sweet Kibeau

DVArtist said...

This is a beautiful tribute to Kibeau. His life was well lived in your care and I know he gave you and the family much enjoyment. He was a handsome boy. Thank you for sharing Kibeau with FFO and a big hug to you.

My name is Erika. said...

That's wonderful you could find a vet to come to your house. But not for a very good reason. It's so hard to lose a 4 legged family member. I love these photos and I hope you'll find peace and have some wonderful fuzzy memories of your kitty. hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

How sad Kibeau had to leave you after all those years. It's good you have so many lovely photos of him (and shared them with us). He was a beautiful boy!
Big hug,
Lisca

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet and handsome Kibeau. (I agree, even his paws were cute.) This is a beautiful tribute, showing how much he was loved and cared for, even by your allergic husband. It's not scriptural, but I believe in my heart that he is now fully restored and snoozing in the presence of his Creator in Heaven. Shalom, my friend.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, das ist so traurig. Ich wollte immer eine oder zwei Katzen aber mit unseren langen Urlauben geht das nicht und nun musste ich zusehen wie Max, 18 Jahre alt... ach...

Tom said...

...I'm sorry for your lost. When my end comes make it a quick one. Be well, Carola.

Gillena Cox said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Kibeau
Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much love

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Farewell, Kibeau! My condolences to all who loved him. What a quality cat! I love those photos of Kibeau sitting on your art and journal. Clearly he was a patron of the arts. Glad he achieved his ultimate lifetime goal of snoozing on The Couch.

Gene Black said...

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your dear friend. I know how much they can become a part of your heart. I had my darling Bandit for over 18 years and I wept too when the time came to say goodbye.

carol l mck said...

Kibeau was indeed a beautiful kitty ~ Wonderful tribute to him ~ he is missed and loved ~ they never stay long enough ~ It hurts so deeply to lose our fur babies ~ embrace your loving memories of him ~ Lots of healing energy hugs to you ~ ^_^

an artist reflects

Thank you for sharing Kibeau with us ~ xo

https://anartistreflects.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Think only of the joy you brought to each other, Carola, and remember him well. I know you will. Unto all of us the end must come and we will be well blessed if it is filled with love. Sincere condolences and big hugs - David

Tampereen Mummu said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but as you wrote yourself, he will always be in your memories.

Michelle said...

A touching tribute to a precious friend. Animals occupy a special place in our hearts.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sweet Kibeau.
I am very sorry for your loss, may you find comfort in remembering the joy he bought you.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, You have shared such a loving tribute to your feline friend, Kibeau. You will grieve his passing, but remember him in sweet memories.

Éva said...

You took a lot of pictures of him. I'm sorry you don't have him anymore.
I really like those paws.
I know that an animal can become a family member, and their death is very painful for their owner. I've experienced this when reading other blogs.
I also see a stone with a cat face. Good idea, it expresses love.
All the best to you and getting through the hard days. Éva

Teresa said...

Que tristeza Carola, también he pasado por ello varias veces y es muy triste. Lo siento mucho. Abrazos.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Carola, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss. Your photos of your beloved cat 🐈 are beautiful and will provide you with memories of your time with him. Kibeau lived a wonderful long life. 18 years is a great age.
I love cats as you know, and have had many in my lifetime. It never gets easier to lose a beloved pet. 💔
Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos and memories.

Veronica Lee said...

So beautifully written, Carola. Kibeau clearly chose you as his person, and what a loving, gentle life he had in your care.
Those chubby paws and his rascal ways will stay in your heart forever. Sending you hugs and comfort as you remember your sweet boy. 💙

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Carola, I am just stopping by to let you know I am thinking of you. Sending you hugs and much love.