Thursday, October 3, 2024

The 366 Project: September

 

September had hardly begun when it was already over - at least that's how it felt. It was a busy month.


My friend Kris and I went on some beautiful walks in our regional parks where we saw the first signs of autumn.


At the lake we discovered a huge hornet nest.


Look at that intricate work! Isn't it impressive?


I love to be at the lake early when the water steams and is backlit by the morning sun. Such a beautiful and slightly mystical mood.


It also was a busy month in regards to knitting. I was often sitting in the garden knitting up hats and socks, often with Kibeau as my reliable but mostly sleeping companion.



At the farmers market I could still get peaches and made buttermilk peach cobbler. Next time I will not make it in the cast iron pan because it was a bit of a pain to clean out the baked-on parts, even though my pan is well seasoned and it shouldn't be a problem.


We were very excited that the Mourning Doves came back to their nest and had another brood. I'm happy to say that they raised both babies and about a week ago I saw them taking off. I still see the little ones occasionally in our big tree. The other excitement was that I noticed a bird in my garden that I hadn't seen before. After consulting Merlin and my Sibley and confirming with David, I now know that this is a Black-headed Grosbeak. This little guy is very camera shy.

And of course we're getting closer to the election. Campaing signs have turned up in our neighborhood. I love the cat ones, but I love the handmade signs by children even more. I asked one of my little neighborhood girls whether she would make one for me, and we now proudly display it right next to our frontdoor.


Unfortunately, there was also this:


I have no idea what people who steal campaign signs want to achieve with that. Do they think people would change their mind? Hardly. This behaviour makes me mad, and I would be just as mad if this would have happened with Trump/Vance signs. I wish we would return to respect and civility.

Together with other neighbors we were busy writing letters to voters in states with voter suppression laws to let them know how they can get heir voter ID. That there even are voter suppression laws in a country that boasts about its democracy is shameful.


Last but not least, September is a special month for the Geek and I. 28 years ago we had our first kiss on top of the tower of Stiftskirche in Tübingen. You can see the tower here - taken on a cold but clear and sunny winter day. It was warmer back then on that day in September, but there was a constant drizzle - which didn't prevent us from kissing.


For us it's a reason to celebrate and open a bottle of bubbly. Cheers, my friends!


With all these faces, I'm linking up with Nicole's Friday Face Off.

3 comments:

Tom said...

...congrats and I wish you an Outstanding October!

Elephant's Child said...

Definitely an anniversary worth celebrating. Here's to many more. And thank you for these stunning photos.
I am particularly taken with the hornet nest and the mist on the water but enjoyed them all.
Hiss and spit at the sign thieves.

My name is Erika. said...

These are really photos Carola. You had some lovely walks, and that is a really nice photo of you and the Geek. And wow, that hornet's nest is actually very artistic and beautiful. And I agree with you about 2 things: 1) September began and ended in a blink of an eye, and 2) voter suppression in a democracy is a sad and scary thing. Have a wonderful end of the week. hugs-Erika