Monday, March 25, 2024

The Orioles are Back!

 

Every spring I'm waiting for the return of the Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus), these beautiful bright orange-yellow birds who spend the summer in our neighborhood. But this spring I was taken by surprise. Last Friday morning I had stepped out into the garden as I do every morning. I walked around, looking at my plants when I heard some lively chatter. It actually took a couple moments until it registered and I thought "that's an oriole - but it's too early!". I turned around, searching at the hummingbird feeder in the pineapple guava - and sure enough, there he was, perching on the feeder and taking a few good sips of the sweet nectar. March 22 - this was the earliest I had ever seen him in my garden (I write it down every year). In a few days he will bring his female companion to the feeder as well. So I went and filled a little orange bowl with grape jelly (they love this) and hung it in the tree as well.

The nectar that the Hooded Oriole is drinking is my ticket to this week's T Tuesday, so graciously hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. By the way, the feeder is not dirty, even tough it looks like it in the picture.

I continue to heal and walk much better by now, however, I'm still rather slow. I have started to do a few exercises for the knee and hope that the occasional pain will eventually disappear. I'm still not allowed to drive though since I drive a stick and working the clutch might still be a bit difficult (and painful).

Here he is digging into the grape jelly - sorry for the very pixelated photo.



20 comments:

Tom said...

...I would love this visitor!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm glad to hear the healing is coming along Carola. I can just imagine the patience it takes not to want to get up and go for a walk or drive someplace. And wow. I love seeing your orioles. It will still be a month or 6 weeks until they show up at my house. Of course like you, this year everything natural is off. I hope you have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

What an absolutely gorgeous visitor. I hope your healing continues - and speeds up.

Iris Flavia said...

Was für eine schöne, fühe Überraschung mit dem Vogel!
An diesem Wochenende habe ich Abends auch zum ersten Mal einen Vogel singen gehört!
Gute, schnelle Besserung! Manchmal braucht man Geduld...

roentare said...

Really beautiful birds

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What a wonderful early treat, Carola. There is no doubt that the oriole has arrived early to applaud your recovery and to help you along. And as you point out, his lady friend will join the chorus shortly. Baltimore Orioles will be visiting our feeders, but not for a few weeks yet - but who knows? Migration patterns are changing and just about anything can happen these days. Keep getting better and before you know it you will be shifting gears and clutching as well as you ever did. Muchos abrazos - David

Mae Travels said...

It's wonderful to have your beautiful oriole back, but unfortunately the early birds are also a sign of climate change. But we need to enjoy what we can enjoy. And your lovely photos are really enjoyable.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Empire of the Cat said...

What a pretty bird! We don't have those here I don't think. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I wish I was! Take care of yourself Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How nice that the orioles have returned, Carola, and when I read that you had walked out to the garden for a look, I thought good for you! Glad to read that the healing process is progressing and I know you must be looking forward to being able to drive yourself.

DVArtist said...

What a pretty bird. I have not seen any Orioles in my yard. Thanks for sharing the photos. Have a nice day today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my!He's fabulous! I wish I could pop round and see him! Glad to know that you are walking better, Happy T Day, Chrisx

Barwitzki said...

...the oriole is beautiful. It's great that you have him with you and can watch him every year.
I'm also happy about the first birds that are returning, like the first storks, the starling... and there's the black woodpecker in the forest again, he's always particularly easy to find because of his loud knocking :-)))
A hug for you from Viola

CJ Kennedy said...

What an awesome visitor to your garden.Gorgeous photos of him on the hummingbird feeder, too. Like a calendar page. I hope you continue to improve. Slow and steady is the best. Happy T Day

Lisca said...

You are making good progress. Keep it up.
I have never seen an oriol. It's a very pretty bird. And it's great you were able to photograph it too. Wonderful.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad your healing is progressing. I used to drive a stick and always worried about leg or shifting arm issues. The birds are great -- I have never seen an oriole in person!

Sharon Madson said...

Love your hooded Oriole. Gorgeous! Happy T Day!

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Beautiful photos and so nice of you to make them their favourite snack. I wonder if I can spot them here. You should really paint them in your journal. I am so glad that you are healing well.

-Soma

Veronica Lee said...

What a lovely surprise, Carola!
It's wonderful to hear about the early arrival of the Hooded Oriole in your garden.
Your photos are charming, capturing the beauty of the moment.
I'm glad to hear you're healing, albeit slowly.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and many more joyful moments with your feathered visitors!

Yvonne said...

How beautiful he is. How fortunate of a person you are to be visited by such a glorious bird and its partner each year.

Teresa said...

Carola, cuanto me alegra saber que te estas recuperando bien. Mi operación no sé cuando será, ya tengo hecho todo y espero la llamada para que me digan el día. La oropéndola es preciosa. Gracias por todo. Besos.