Wednesday, February 7, 2024

On an Island Far Away

 

When I first saw Rain's prompt for this week, "Far Away", I thought that I would skip it. But it got stuck in my head and was working its way until I knew exactly what I could write about - an island far far away I had the privilege to get to know a bit better during my study abroad. This is the furthest away I ever got from my home country (Germany) in order to live somewhere else. It wasn't only the furthest away in regards to kilometers or miles, but also in regards to culture.

It was 1983 when I moved to Taiwan, when it was still under Martial Law. I had just finished my second year of Chinese studies at Tübingen University and thought that now, after my first big and important exam, would be the perfect time to practice the Chinese language that I had learned so far. I had learned Mandarin or Han Chinese, but in Taiwan Fujian dialect is mainly spoken which, after a certain time, I finally picked up. Maybe in some post later I will write more about the Chinese language and its transcription into Western languages that often lead to very weird pronunciation. Let me just say that in this post I'll stick to the Wade Giles transcription which was used in Taiwan and, to my knowledge, still is. It is different to Pinyin which is the official romanized spelling that is used in the People's Republic of China, Singapore and the United Nations. Please keep in mind that these photos are from 1983.

Above is the dormitory where I was very lucky to live in a single room - true luxury. Fortunately my room was in the back, away from the sun and therefore slightly cooler. I had a fan in my room - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to stand the oppressing, humid heat. I felt constantly like living in a washhouse. I started to sweat when I just moved my fingers and my curly hair became even curlier.

This is the street I walked along every day - to get to university, to the small supermarket, to the street food booths. You will notice the "cages" in front of the windows - they protect the windows during the heavy and strong taifuns.


The dormitory was under the ownership of Dominican nuns with many of the nuns coming from the Philipines. On the first floor was a preschool and I enjoyed watching the kids lining up for the national anthem of Taiwan, San Min Chu-i. In return, the kids were very curious about the "long nose".


My daily walk to the university passed through rice fields where I would see egrets stalking through the crop. My dormitory was behind those newer buildings to the left in the photo below. Sometimes the street was covered with rice laid out to dry.



It was just a 15 minute walk to the University. While I lived in Taishan, Fu Jen University was in Hsinchuang, both suburbs of Taipei, the capital of Taiwan (officially the Republic of China). Nevertheless, it was just a short walk there by taking the shortcut through the rice fields. I sometimes got into awkward situations on that road, but that is stuff for a later post.

The beautiful campus of Fu Jen University, a private Catholic university, that was founded by jesuits in 1925 in Beijing and re-established in Taiwan in 1961. It is one of the finest universities in Taiwan.


I mentioned street food booths - street food was my main source of food I had in Taiwan. It was delicious and cheap and I ususally got it both for lunch and dinner. When you live on a student's budget and can get a filling and delicious meal for the equivalent of 50 cents, you don't ask twice. I never became sick, in case you were wondering.

Street market in Taishan

Street food in Chunghua Lu bazaar in Taipei

The village temple just up the mountain from Taishan:


I often took the bus into Taipei - at that time there was no subway, only buses. Sometimes I splurged and paid a little bit more to ride the air-conditioned bus that was also faster. Most of the time, though, I took the regular bus which sometimes became - interesting.

A view of Taipei with the Grand Hotel in the background (which had a disastrous fire in 1995). 


Chunghua Lu with the three-storied bazaar which, I think, is no longer there

I loved walking in the parks and watching people exercise Tai Chi.



I didn't have much money back then, but friends and I were still able to go on a few trips.

Taroko Gorge on the West coast


Sun Moon Lake in the center of the island


and a trip to a little beach town on the Pacific.


Before I finish this post, I want to introduce you to Bawan, who became a good friend. He is not Chinese nor Taiwanese, but is a member of the Shan-Ti Jen (mountain-earth people), a native people of Taiwan. The first photo of him and myself was taken near Sun Moon Lake and the second one is with his family when my friend Barb and I were asked to cook some European meal. If I remember correctly we prepared something with pasta which was readily available, but what I remember vividly was a wonderful time spent with this family.



You can see some food in some of these pictures, that's my dinner contribution to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date. And since there are a lot of faces, I also link to Nicole's Friday Face Off.







26 comments:

roentare said...

Wow, these are truly historical photos to learn from. I was originally from Taipei.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What an incredible experience this must have been, Carola, and the memories it fuels must be precious. I visited Taiwan for only five days and fell in love with it. I too ate street food without any consequences and it was always delicious. Follow your nose and good food was the reward! You have to wonder what the state of this island will be ten or twenty years from now. China is not going to relent in its pursuit to integrate it into Greater China, and whether the will of the rest of the world will protect the Taiwanese is a matter of grave doubt. Putin has now proven that another country can be invaded and destroyed without consequence. Hugs - David

Tom said...

...you have lived an interesting life.

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't know you studied Chinese Carola. This post was truly fascinating. I enjoyed seeing the photos too. They definitely look vintage compared to today's digital photography. Have you even been back? I wonder how much it has changed. I know there has been (and probably still is) some tensions with mainland China.And do you still keep up with your Chinese study? Thanks for sharing this post. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

What a wonderful exotic experience you had in Taiwan, wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing Carola.

DVArtist said...

Wow! What a beautiful post from times past and far away. What memories and delights you had in those days. Thank you for sharing it all with us. Have a lovely day.

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola, das ist wirklich ein toller Far-away-Beitrag! Ich habe wieder viel für mich Neues über dich erfahren. Und deine Bilder, auch wenn sie schon Jahrzehnte alt sind, haben viel Ausstrahlung und Aussagekraft. Das Foto der Brücke über den Sun Moon Lake begeistert mich ganz besonders. Übrigens bin ich virtuell schon am Sun Moon Lake vorbeigeradelt, denn auf dem Hometrainer im Fitnesszentrum kann man durch verschiedenste schöne Landschaften fahren, und da gibt es auch einige aus Taiwan. Einen weiteren Bezug zu dem (von Österreich leider nicht offiziell anerkannten) Inselstaat hatte ich ebenfalls in den 1980ern: Damals begleitete ich als Skilehrerin Kindergruppen, und bei einem der Kurse war ein Geschwisterpaar aus Taiwan dabei. Der Bursche in meiner Gruppe hieß Hoan, wurde aber Hansi gerufen (so hat er sich vorgestellt) und sein Bruder (wenn ich mich richtig erinnere - er war in einer anderen Gruppe - Joan) wurde Joschi genannt 😉 Beide waren noch keine erfahrenen Skiläufer, aber sie schafften einen Spagat auf Skiern und waren todesmutig und sehr liebenswert 😊
Ich hoffe, du hast meine Mail-Antwort vom 3.2. erhalten?
Liebe Grüße 😘🙋 Traude

Valerie-Jael said...

That must have been a great adventure, wow! Hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

OMG this is the best and most interesting post of yours i have visited so far.
Thanks for fropping by my blog today.

Much♡love

Gene Black said...

What a wonderful group of memories. I am sure it was a great experience and a good time of learning for you.
I have eaten lots of street food in Mexico and have never gotten sick from it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How wonderful to have lived and studied in Taiwan! This post is fascinating! I especially love your photo of he local temple -- so beautiful! How did you use your degree in Chinese studies and ability to speak Chinese in your career? I'd be interested to know.

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for posting this fascinating photo essay on a time that’s long past!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

carol l mckenna said...

What beautiful photos of your wonderful trip ~ favorite is the bridge with people walking over it and the reflection ~ Wow!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
~

DVArtist said...

Thank you for sharing all of this beauty with FFO. Have a very nice day.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Every time I come here, I learn more about who you are and believe me, you never disappoint. This is an awesome post, beautiful pictures, but also full of feeling. It is clear this was a memorable experience for you at an impressionable age. The pictures are lovely and I have had street food in Thailand and it too was always delicious. So do you speak fluent Chinese at this time in your life? My Granddaughter is taking Chinese in high school ... it is a difficult language to learn. So love your post, admire your experience and I am impressed with who you really are ... My heart goes out to Taiwan as they live under constant threat and I am also impressed with their steadfast commitment to their freedom. At a time like this when right wing autocracy threatens all democratic countries, Taiwan stands tall in it's defense. Thank you for this wonderful look into the lives of the people of Taiwan and into your past life ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You certainly have led a diverse and interesting life, Carola, and I am sure that there is more to come. How amazing to have studied abroad in Taiwan, living there and learning Chinese. I enjoyed seeing where you lived and studied but especially the photos of the streets and people. The one that showed rice drying in the street was quite interesting.

Street food can be quite interesting and the prices you gave made it a real bargain especially for a student like yourself. Did you go into the village temple? The exterior looked quite amazingly detailed and I suspect the interior must have been even more so.The photos of your younger self made me thank that you and your daughter look nearly identical.

John's Island said...

Carola, Thanks for sharing this part of your life experience. A fascinating look at Taiwan in the mid-80s. I have yet to experience an urban environment with street food vendors like you saw in Taipei. I wonder if it’s still going strong today? It’s great that you’ve kept these 40+ years old photos! Again, thanks for sharing. John

Teresa said...

Que interesante Carola, tienes recuerdos preciosos. Besos.

Rain said...

What a fantastic post Carola!!! I loved every word you wrote and shared. Such lovely far away memories. Thanks for sharing the photos, I felt like I was taking a little day trip to Taiwan!! I love that beautiful bridge!

Hena Tayeb said...

Wow what an experience that must have been.

DUTA said...

The Chinese are fascinating people speaking an interesting language and practicing interesting customs.
The sights of the street food booths, the bridge, The Tai Chi in the park, the streets and houses - make your post, Carola, very attractive and memorable!

Jeanie said...

How interesting, Carola! And what an experience. Taiwan is a spot I've never been and it sounds like you were really able to learn more about the places and people during study time there. The photos are terrific and I'm glad you decided to particiipate!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing time and adventure that must have been for you. I definitely missed you for T this Tuesday, dear.

Barwitzki said...

Danke für deine Reiseerinnerungen. Ich bin gerne im Blogland in anderen Kulturen unterwegs. Zu dieser Zeit damals konnten wir eigentlich nur nach Polen und Tschechien reisen und als die Kinder klein waren gab es immer den Kampf um einen Ostseeplatz, und im Winter sind wir ins Riesengebirge gefahren. Wie gut das ich die Änderung erleben durfte. Und wenn man sich überlegt, das die DDR eine kürzere Zeit hatte von der Öffnung der Grenzen bis jetzt,
kann ich nur staunen. Jedenfalls habe ich jetzt viele Länder gesehen, verliebt haben wir uns gleich am Anfang in den Norden - Norwegen, Schweden - aber
ich war auch oft in Italien, Frankreich, Spanien... Andalusien muß man erfahren haben. Ich belegte sogar einen Kurs an der Flamenco-Schule. Hat Spaß gemacht. Das Leben ist schön. Oder? Es gibt so viele schöne Länder. Und es ist schön davon zu erfahren. Danke dir herzlich.
Viele liebe Grüsse zu dir von Viola

Lowcarb team member said...

A big thank you for this wonderful post.
I enjoyed your photographs and reading about your experience.

All the best Jan

Violetta said...

Sehr interessanter Post. Ja, die Insel ist far far away, aber in lezter Zeit öfter in medialer Erwähnung. Hoffentlich werden sie nicht von den Festlandchinesen geschnupft. Du hast Chinesisch studiert? Das klingt ja echt kompliziert und herausfordernd, aber wahrscheinlich sehr interessant.
Auf jeden Fall war es sicher eine bleibende Erfahrung in Deinem Leben.
Alles Liebe und eine gute Zeit
Violetta