Monday, November 6, 2023

Visitors of the Feathered Kind

 

Last week I missed T Tuesday - I felt quite depressed about what is going on in the world that I didn't feel like writing anything at all. I spent time in nature - always the big healer - and in the company of good friends. Nothing has changed in the world, at least not to the better, but no one and nothing is being helped if I keep a moody attitude. 

Nevertheless, this will be a short post. A few weeks ago wild turkeys walked through our neighborhood. This is not something unusual, they do that regularly, but this time they decided to visit my garden. I had put a bird feeder in the Japanese Maple this year and that is what was calling them. 

I don't mind wild turkeys if they walk down the street and I'm even good humored if they attack my car (which had happened repeatedly), but in my garden is a completely different story. They actually have the ability to make a huge mess in a flower garden and can wreak real havoc. Therefore I wasn't too happy to see them turning up in my front yard.



That didn't keep me from taking pictures. I could see that they were mostly interested in the sunflower chips that the birds had dropped on the ground. However, stalking among the plants did leave a mark, especially since some of them thought they needed to check out the flower garden.


I guess the flowers were not too much to their liking since they quickly returned to the area of the bird feeder and when I finally ventured off the porch they decided to take off and check out the big porperty across the street.


Now let's see what kind of drink we have today for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday. Sometime this year a new bakery and café opened in my town and a friend and I met there a few weeks ago. I had their hot chocolate with whipped cream on top - oh, so good. They also make the most delicious croissants - we sometimes have them during break at the German School. This was a good place to go to, but I still miss the lovely cafés you can fnd in Germany.






21 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

Yes, the events in the world right now are depressing.
Love your photos from the turkey's visit. Your yards is beautiful even in fall!
A hot chocolate is a great pick-me-up, even though using food for comfort can be dangerous to our waist lines. Sometimes the occasion just calls for it.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

We have a lot of turkeys around my house too. And I've had them in the yard, but usually they're going for the bird feeder droppings. You took some nice photos. And your cocoa looks delicious, and hopefully it was something perfect to sip while chatting with a friend. I also hope you cheer up soon. The world's a scary and sad place right now, isn't it? Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Inspiring -- the way that turkeys were driven out of much of the continental US and then reintroduced and made a comeback. I am always amused to see them, and though I believe there are many in our area, they don't show themselves often. I loved your photos. Too bad they are destructive.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Amila said...

Wow! You've had some wonderful visitors. Great captures, and thanks for sharing with us too. Spending time in nature is always a good healer. Thanks for all these shares. Happy T Tuesday!

Lorrie said...

I've only seen wild turkeys a few times, and never here on our island. It would be interesting to see them in a garden, but the destruction might not be worth it. Hot chocolate is such a lovely treat on a chilly evening.

Iris Flavia said...

Ja, die Welt ist manchmal ganz schön grau. Schön, dass es dir wieder besser geht.
Wilde Truthähne im Garten... na, da sind mir meine Eichhörnchen lieber!
Ja, ein Croissant wäre jetzt schön. Ich gehe gleich zu ALDI... aber ich hab ja Salat zu Hause...

Elephant's Child said...

It is hard not to be depressed and anxious at world events.
Some lovely photos of your visitors - and I am glad that they didn't wreak too much damage.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The events in the world are most disturbing, and they are spilling onto our soil, too.

Wild turkeys are not found in this area of the country, but they are plentiful in southeast KS. From your photos, it appears they can be quite destructive.

Your hot chocolate looks yummy (and fattening). Thanks for sharing your amazing photos of the wild turkeys and your hot chocolate with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

roentare said...

The turkeys look rather curious and cute.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

At least the Wild Turkeys that visited your yard were not the ones running the world, Carola, running it into the ground actually. The turkeys had no malice and were just looking for a snack. Death and destruction, suffering and mayhem, cruelty and brutality were not on their mind. It is on balance a good thing to be visited by turkeys and I hope they return to see you again - but perhaps this time they’ll just promenade up and down the street! Who can resist a tasty garden, though?

Jeanie said...

You feel about turkeys the way I feel about the Canada geese at the cottage -- they're fine -- but not on the beach (or yard, in your case!)

Tom said...

...nature gives us a respite from the chaos of the world.

Valerie-Jael said...

The world situation is very disturbing, my family is in Israel and it's a bad situation. I can understand you being depressed. I love the wild turkeys, but we don't have them here. And Germans bakeries are the best for cakes and coffee and croissants! Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Turkeys are frequent visitors to my yard. They sometimes congregate around the bird feeder, but mostly they just pass through to the woods behind the house. Ink loved when the turkeys made an appearance. That hot chocolate looks so good. Perfect to sip and watch the turkeys go by. Happy T Day

Divers and Sundry said...

I love turkeys! but then I've never had to deal with a flock of them tearing up my garden. Yikes!

That hot chocolate looks delicious! Happy T Tuesday

Violetta said...

Ich glaube Du versteht noch Deutsch....Den Truthähnen geht´s wohl bald an den Kragen- Thanksgiving kommt ja bald, wenn ich mich nicht irre. Und das schöne Sahnehäubchen auf der Schale macht Lust danach.
Happy T-Day
und alles Liebe
Violetta

DUTA said...

Nice wooden fence! The wild turkeys although destructive, provide a cute sight in the 'devastated' garden.

Empire of the Cat said...

Yes the world situation is definitely depressing, I wish it would all be resolved soon and people would choose peace. I enjoyed seeing wild turkeys in your garden, we don't have them here. I do have a few Japanese maples though, but all the leaves have just fallen off, after turning bright red and yellow. I loved the German cafes when I lived there. Take care, Happy T Day! Elle xx

Lisca said...

There is a lot of bad things happening in the world. Those poor people.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a wild turkey. Now I know. Didn't you catch one and put it in your freezer for the holidays?
Great photos though.
Happy T-Day,.
Lisca

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your photographs of the turkeys :)

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Fue interesante ver los pavos, por aquí no hay, si domésticos que son bastantes parecidos. Besos.