Sunday, December 2, 2018

An Image and Its Story - November 2018

When it comes to taking photos, November pretty much didn't happen. For almost two weeks I couldn't get out of the house (except for short grocery shopping trips and driving to work) because of the bad air quality, and when I did I certainly wasn't in the mood spending much time taking photos (try holding a camera in front of your eyes without pushing the filtered mask you're wearing deeper into your face all the time...). On top of that I was very busy in both my jobs and my small business that everything that was not somehow connected to these was simply left undone.

But then it was Thanksgiving and that meant driving to Davis to pick up Kaefer (and dropping her off again a few days later). That's when the photos happened! The drive to Davis was during the first rain when the air finally started to improve. I couldn't resist stopping my car and getting out to photograph those fog covered vineyards in the Napa Valley; and on the Sunday, it was sunny and clear and again, I stopped in Napa Valley to capture the vineyard right before the sunset.


The grapes in the foreground were already in the shade of the mountains, but the colors were so beautiful and vibrant. Whenever I passed this particular vineyard I always loved the look of the rows of grapes with the wind machines in between. Quite handily there's a small bay by the road where I could stop safely without blocking other traffic. The wind machines are used to blow warmer air from above into the grapes when there is frost - yes, we do have frost here. Frost for grapes is bad - that's why there are so many wind machines in our vineyards. I find them quite picturesque.

We may not have the spectacular autumn colors of trees like in New England, but our vineyards make up for that big time. Depending on the grape you can find all shades from light yellow to a deep burgundy red. It is a brilliant show that I enjoy every year.



18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE those autumnal colours - where ever they come from.
And am so very glad that your air quality has improved.

Terra said...

The vineyard leaves are true autumn leaves in color. I ran my portable air purifier in my living room and then in the bedroom to improve the air quality from the Camp Fire smoke.

Windrock Studio said...

I'm sure that was very tough for you to be stuck inside and to have bad air. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks for getting this pretty shot.

Karen Lakis said...

I’m so glad you stopped for that photo! We do have beautiful foliage in New England, but I’d love to see your beautiful vineyards , too. The colors are stunning!

Peace Thyme said...

That is a wonderful picture. It was always worth the trip to see the autumnal leaf colors stretching far over hill and dale of the vineyards. Thanks for the memory.

Sue (this n that) said...

So happy you can breathe freely once more. Beautiful colours of the vineyard... Autumn is a lovely time of year :D)

Sarah Huizenga said...

It doesn't matter where the color comes from, all that matters is that its there. Gorgeous.

Jeanie said...

I could have sworn this was a painting. It's stunning.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Just beautiful!

krishna said...

beautiful picture. Yes! after suffering for two weeks we got back fresh air due to the rain. Now it is fine, but it is too cold to do any outdoor activity.

Red Rose Alley said...

Davis is such a charming town, and I really like to visit when I can. We were even thinking at one time of moving there. The vineyard picture is very pretty with the Fall colors. I've never heard of the wind machines when frost occurs, interesting. So sorry to hear that you had to wear masks because of the bad air quality. I hope it has gotten better for you.

~Sheri

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

such a beautiful image.
have a great day

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly stunning! I never knew anything about the wind machines! That is really interesting! I am so happy the air is getting better! Big Hugs!

handmade by amalia said...

Well worth waiting for that photo, Carola. It is gorgeous.
Amalia
xo

Michelle B said...

The vineyards are gorgeous! Glad you got a chance to take pictures of them. I hope you sampled some wine too. :)

Tammie Lee said...

Oh, I am sorry that the smoke took up your November. It is just horrendous, all the fires!

I am glad to hear that your air got better and yes, those leaves are quite beautiful!

Lovely solstice to you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have to tell you that I find your English impeccable. It is probably a good thing I don’t live too close to a vineyard! 😋

Barb said...

Carola, I came by to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. I imagine Kaefer is still home on break. We were near San Diego when the fires near LA and beyond started. We never got any smoke but I knew air quality was horrible elsewhere. I tried to buy a filter mask just in case, and they were all sold out (I'm highly allergic to formaldehyde in wood fire particulates). CA certainly has had its share of terrible fires. I hope you've gotten more rain. A friend from Carlsbad told me they got some over Christmas.