Friday, March 17, 2017

Black Cows And Gorgeous Trees


Yesterday I met with my long time hiking buddy J. for a lovely walk in one of our regional parks, Crane Creek. The day started out overcast, but later in the morning the sun peeked through the clouds and eventually chased them away.

I love this park for its abundance of gorgeous trees. Most of them are oaks, but there are a number of other trees as well.




Many narrow trails crisscross the park and you can walk on some part of the land that is shared with black cows who spend the days grazing here. What a nice place to be! They are used to the hikers and walkers who share their space, but still prefer to keep some distance from any humans.





After J. and I had a lovely picnic in the shade of one of the old oaks, we made our way back to the parking lot and J. left. However, I didn't feel like going home just then and went back into the park, walking along a different path. Very soon I came to the creek that gave the park its name - and I was not alone here.




I do love cows. Very conveniently there was a bench where I could sit and watch these beauties. This was the first time that I actually saw water flowing in the creek, usually it is just a very dry creek bed. The cows obviously found quite some pleasure here as well.

When I finally arrived back in the parking lot, I noticed the geometry of the vineyard right across the park - and how very thoughtful of this red-winged blackbird to patiently sit on the fence post until I had taken this picture.




10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, I don't know what I like better-those craggy oak trees or the symmetry of the vineyard. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

What an absolutely delightful outing - thank you for taking us along.

krishna said...

So gorgeous place to hike..love the place..

Magic Love Crow said...

What an amazingly beautiful post! Wow!! Truly gorgeous!! I love that last image. It's like finding peace, in a hectic moment! Stunning! Big Hugs!

Jeanie said...

This looks like such a lovely walk and what a wonderful way to spend a day with a friend. I see lots of cows here but I don't think I've ever seen a black one!

Sarah Huizenga said...

I would plant myself on that bench too. The lines in the vineyard are fabulous. Sounds like the perfect kind of day.

Anonymous said...

Carola, I loved "going" on this hike with you! I love the landscape of rolling green hills and oaks in that part of California. But it was the last photo that was my favorite, and my breath caught with delight as I scrolled down and that beautiful red-winged blackbird came into view.

denthe said...

What a beautiful place to walk around! It seems so peaceful there. That last picture is amazing. You could win a prize with that!

Sue (this n that) said...

Hello Carola, thank you for that lovely walk, how nice to see all those beautiful trees and hills - I think you both would have enjoyed your lunch break after such good exercise! That little stream looked so inviting, no wonder you had company.
See all those posts and wire of the vineyard reminds me of when my husband was putting in his small vineyard and orchard. Digging every hole and setting each pole in concrete so that the lines remain true. Still a lot of work for smallscale even.
You have a great eye for seeing the most enjoyable things. I too loved seeing the Blackbird. Cheers now :D)

Jeanne said...

love your shot of the vineyard and the red winged blackbird adds the perfect footnote. I too love looking at the strength in the "skeletons" of these mighty trees!