Friday, January 9, 2015

Navajo-Churro Sheep Wool

While on our way to Kayenta and Monument Valley in Arizona the day before Christmas Eve, we stayed the night in the Cameron Trading Post. This is a beautiful motel under Navajo management that we return to again and again. The rooms are big, tastefully furnished and absolutely quiet. The rates are very affordable especially when you take into consideration that the motel is rather close to the Grand Canyon. If you don't want to stay with the crowds, this is the place.

However, I don't want to write about the motel, but something that you can buy in the Trading Post: yarn. Not any kind of yarn, but wool from Navajo-Churro Sheep. The sheep are raised locally, the wool is harvested and dyed locally and some of it is sold in the Trading Post. It actually hangs in long strings from the ceiling and you just have to pick your colors.


It's very affordable as well, so nothing could stop me. I was in a knitter's heaven! The colors have beautiful names as well - rusty rose (on top), fuchsia (back right), jaded dreams (front left), peacock (front right) and sea foam (back left). Jaded dreams was the only color that was difficult to photograph.


Kaefer chose fuchsia, I'm going to knit some warm socks for her. Peacock will be for a friend and the other three are for me. All of them will probably be worked into warm socks since I constantly have cold feet. Our house is not particularly warm in the winter, especially not at ground level, and that's where my feet usually are!


This is the only picture that shows the jaded dream in a realistic way - and the peacock is closer to its real color as well.

My Friday Finds for this week - I just love yarn!


14 comments:

Nancy said...

Being a knitter, my heart jumped with joy when I saw all the beautiful yarn. I will be anxious to see your completed projects...

Anonymous said...

Diese Garn ist wirklich wunderschön, da hätte ich auch nicht wieder stehen können.
LG Patricia

Dotti said...

I don't knit but I love textiles of any kind. This yarn looks beyond lovely! I can understand why you couldn't resist. Happy knitting.

Kim Stevens said...

that yard is just yummy and I bet it feels luscious!!

TexWisGirl said...

it's neat and very pretty (but i'm allergic to wool.) :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful color choices. How wonderful to support the Navajo tribe this way. I will keep this motel in mind when I finally make a trip to the Grand Canyon which I have yet to experience!

nancyjean said...

oh I just adore yarn! It looks like you discovered such a great place! Now that winter has settled in here I need to pick up my knitting needles once again!

Elephant's Child said...

What glorious colours. And you are right about the names too.

Unknown said...

Wunderschöne Farben sind das!
Ich selbst kann zwar nicht stricken, aber für den, der es kann, muss es echt Spaß machen, damit zu arbeiten :)
Wünsche Dir ein schönes Wochenende!
Liebe Grüße
【ツ】Knipsa

Linda Kay said...

What an unusual way to buy the yarn, and so much fun that is local as well.

Cranberry Morning said...

What gorgeous yarn! Makes me want to pick up my dusty knitting needles again! Besides, I'm due to knit a sweater for our littlest granddaughter and grandson!

Sarah Huizenga said...

Love the yarn. I would love to see photos of the inn as well :)

Linda said...

I have arthritis and I don't knit, but I enjoy seeing the creations others make. Lovely yarn, beautiful colours.

Darla said...

Oh yarn! What a wonderful find.

Darla