Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Trio of Wooden Snowmen



Remember when we built a picket fence around the front and side of our house in the spring? Quite some wood was left over that I had piled in our shed. First I had no idea what to do with it, I only knew that I didn't want to throw away all these pieces of perfectly fine wood.

Then it came to me - ornaments. Of course!!! And since I like snowmen, it was pretty obvious that I would make snowmen ornaments.


I first put down a layer of gesso, adhered some torn pieces of scrapbook paper and then covered the background with light blue paint. The snowmen were painted after that and further embellished with glitter glue that shall represent the falling snow. A screw eye drilled on top for the hanger and I also added a sparkling ribbon.


The first "batch" is done and available in my Etsy shop. I think I will do some more with different colored backgrounds.


It was so much fun creating these little guys. Of course as true Northern Californian snowmen they are made of untreated redwood.



Are you making some ornaments for this year's holidays?

I am linking to Paint Party Friday, joining some wonderful and talented artists.


22 comments:

Marji said...

These are the cutest snowmen around! hard to believe that we need to be thinking of Christmas ornaments already - good for you for getting a head start!! You are very inspirational.

Gloria j Zucaro said...

This are so adorable Carola. What a great idea!

Ayala Art said...

Cute!!! We see snow only in art, over here lol

Orsolina said...

Tolle Idee. Sieht super aus, ohne deinen Text vorher zu lesen, dachte ich, es seien kleine Keilrahmen. Hast das Holz sehr gut recycelt. :)

Schönes Wochenende.

LG Biggi

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work, love those cool snowmen! Happy PPF, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

They are enchanting. I defy anyone to look at them without smiling. Broadly.

BLOGitse said...

Hi happy snowmen!
Yesterday we had snow for a moment but now it all is gone, it's a rainy, grey day.
Happy PPF!

my blog - > BLOGitse

PaintingWrite said...

These are super cute! That's my absolute favourite shade of aqua/blue as well. I love that you came up with such a good way to upcycle the leftover wood!

My name is Erika. said...

Very cute!

Latane Barton said...

I love those snowmen. What a great idea on using the wood pieces.

Cranberry Morning said...

These are adorable!!! So clever and cute. We all need to do this. They're about the cutest ornaments I've seen! Love the color, the sparkly ribbon, the 3D aspect of the fronts.

Faye said...

Your wooden snowmen ornaments look great!

Debbie said...

What a wonderful keepsake and treasure!!

jinxxxygirl said...

Recycle, recycle, recycle...LOVE IT!
I have been making ornaments... Right now i'm working on some wooden snowflakes i bought at a craft store...really detailed and intricate. I stained them and now i'am rubbing some gold antiquing cream around the edges....A little time consuming but i think its going to be gorgeous! :) Hugs! deb

Christine said...

These are so beautiful, so glad I stopped by!

Giggles said...

Charming and adorable... I love them all!!

Hugs Giggles

Sally H said...

Gorgeous recycling, Carola! Love them!

Unknown said...

How fun... I spent the weekend creating Christmas cards. The holiday will be be here soon.

denthe said...

these are so much fun. Original gifts to have in your Christmastree!

Siggadisart said...

Love your ornaments :-)

Unknown said...

So cute, I love your paintings!

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you! Brilliant idea! They are so cute ;o)