Monday, April 21, 2014

A New Leaf on My Shady Porch

My front porch is completely in the shade. It doesn't get much light even in the morning. Perfect conditions for shade loving plants - like ferns. When we bought this house the ferns were already here. There were a lot of brown leaves last year and no new growth at all. I already thought that I have lost them.

This spring, however, I discovered new growth. Each of the four ferns has developed new leaves - and I love how they slowly unroll, remaining in this kind of fairy-like phase until they finally turn into a long leaf.

A photo opportunity, of course.


I couldn't resist to process it with some kind of texture - I chose Kim's texture "kk_0411" in soft light at 66%, then copied and blended in multiply, also at 66%. Some levels adjustment - and there you have it.

I"m linking this to Kim's Texture Tuesday and this week's theme "simple".

19 comments:

Kokopelli said...

My parents have ferns in their garden, too. They are so cute when they start to grown, aren't they?

Elephant's Child said...

Such a glorious sight to see - particularly when you thought you had lost them.

Anonymous said...

I've found ferns to always be so beautiful in this stage. Love the texture you added - beautiful!

Michelle B said...

I love it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful capture and texture work!

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful, Carola. Ferns do like shade.
K

Anonymous said...

Love ferns! Great focus!

kelly said...

don't you just love ferns!! i'm totally with you...the way they unfurl is just magical!

TangledBlueRose said...

I love the simple shape and the glow behind the 'baby' fern is wonderful! Very beautiful:)

Beverly said...

It is amazing to see how the curl is a perfect circle, and all the new foliage is tucked in so neatly. Beautiful macro shot!!

Suburban Girl said...

I have the hardest time photographing these in a way I like. Partly because I have yet to master depth of field in macro. I tend to shoot too shallow for my taste. Beautiful. Rebecca

Darla said...

Beautiful shot. The fern has a sort of abstract art look to it.

Darla

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Ich finde es faszinierend, wie sich so ein Farnblatt entwickelt. Tolle Aufnahme!

LG
Renate

The Chilly Dog said...

Beautiful! As a desert dweller, I am a little jealous of the lush greenery where you live.

Magic Love Crow said...

Such a magical picture! I love it!

EarlK said...

Very beautiful. Fantastic colors. Love the bright spot behind the fern.

Theresa said...

I love unfurling ferns. Just wanted to let you know your Liberated postcard arrived in Germany, it is a very lovely image, thank you.

TexWisGirl said...

a beautiful fiddlehead!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Gorgeous! This makes me want to go check out the growth on our fern outside.
Rinda