You might remember that at the beginning of May I hurt my leg and was diagnosed with ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome). After stretching brought some relief but didn't result in healing, my GP referred me to PT. I tried to get into the PT practice that helped me after my knee surgery, but they canceled my first appointment 90 minutes before it with the reasoning that they don't accept referrals from my doctor's network anymore. As you can imagine, I was livid! Thankfully my GP referred me to a different PT which had an opening two weeks later and today, I "graduated" from 9 weeks of PT. The leg isn't 100%, but so much better. I will continue doing my home program, confident that it will further help me.
The wonderful outcome is that I can walk again. So a couple weeks ago I went for a short, 30-minute walk at the lake - finally!
It felt so good to put on my hiking boots again.
I chose one of my favorite trails. You can see the lake through the trees.
This is my favorite tree, an old crooked oak, overgrown with poison oak at its base.
A bird feather and an acorn on the ground.
Often there are people who fish from the pier at the boat launch.















13 comments:
Looks like you had a beautiful day for your return!
...I love the gnarled trees, the stories that they could tell. Most of me is no longer 100%, but get along.
Dear Carola, I am so happy for you. Beautiful photos of your hike. Lovely day for your return. Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend.
I am glad that you are back to good working order and ready to bestow the benefit of your presence on the natural world again, Carola! That wizened old oak would draw me in. Imagine if you and I could take a walk there together. We could sit and bask in silent communion. I’d maybe take a hint from Robin Wall Kimmerer and make an offering to the tree, tobacco perhaps. The older I get the more I can see the value in such rituals and the effect it has to bind all living things together. Huge mountains of huge hugs - David
Carola, you had a right to be livid over that short notice cancellation, but glad you had a second successful referral. Foot problems can be so limiting, as I also know from bouts with plantar fasciitis. It looks like you are able to resume walking in such a beautiful area, but unfortunate about the invasive plants. Here, we have asian knotweed on much of the river walk.
Hurrah for being almost 100% improved. Isn't PT helpful? I bet you really loved going for this walk. I also found your acorn very different from the ones near my house. I didn't realize acorns varied so much. And did you take any blackberries to eat? They may be invasive but they are tastiest. Hope you're having a good week. hugs-Erika
I am glad to read that you are doing better! Nothing like being out in nature. This is a beautiful place.
I'm so glad you can walk again and you chose a great spot to walk! I'm hoping to get a PT referral next month when I see my doc. It's time. But that cancellation thing -- that's really horrid. They should have checked that out before they even scheduled you!
I'm so glad to hear that your ITband is better and you are walking again. This is such a lovely place. I miss walking in the wild.
What a joy to read that you’re back on the trail, Carola! After all that PT, being able to walk by the lake again must feel like such a victory. The crooked oak and the mink sound like perfect companions for your return stroll. 🌿
I'm "in trouble", I was going to choose a favorite picture but I couldn't because they all became my favorites. I like trees with crooked trunks, the more crooked and older they are, the more I like them. Yours are beautiful.
The last one about the water lilies is very nice, I can really see how lush it is.
On Sunday we walked in the main square of my town, and I found a beautiful bird feather on the cobblestones. It was probably a pigeon feather. One of them sent a message to people and left a memory for them.
I'm glad you can walk well now, I wish you could too. All the best to yo and hugs from me. Éva
I am so pleased that after the weeks of PT you are now able to get out and about and enjoy some walks.
I certainly enjoyed seeing your beautiful photographs.
All the best Jan
Cuanto me alegra que te estés recuperando y puedas caminas. Yo pronto me operarán de mi otra pierna " la izquierda ". Besos.
Post a Comment