We have often done spontaneous or crazy things in our little family. Therefore, it is no surprise that Kaefer did both a bit more than a week ago, when she decided "last minute" to go to Mallorca to watch the solar eclipse on August 12. Mallorca - a popular vacation destination for Germans and other Europeans for as long as I can remember - had never been on her radar until she read that the "grand finale" of this year's solar eclipse would happen right before sunset in Spain and Mallorca (which belongs to Spain). She was lucky and got a cheap flight, a couple nights in a hostel in Palma and another couple nights in a hotel in Sóller. Not easy in the middle of August, but I guess if you're that spontaneous AND crazy, luck is on your side.
This was not her first solar eclipse. When she was a teenager we drove up to Redding to watch an annular solar eclipse and in August 2017 we experienced a total solar eclipse in Oregon on the Snake River.
The few days before the eclipse Kaefer was looking for the perfect spot and settled on a hill above the Port de Sóller. The view was wonderful, but she certainly wasn't alone there.
Her little rabbit that accompanies her on all of her adventures was watching as well.
Of course she had brought her eclipse glasses (and a headlamp for the way back).














21 comments:
Gorgeous faces and eclipse photos!
Exciting! I saw a total solar eclipse in Winnipeg in 1979 and it is an AWESOME experience. And that photo of Kaefer in her eclipse sunglasses is the perfect photo for FFO!
...you and the gang had a beautiful view, it rained here.
WOW, What a marvelous experience! You took some spectacular once in a lifetime photographs. I'd love to go to visit Mallorca sometime. I have family in Spain, so we've been all over Barcelona, Madrid, and various towns in Catalán. Happy FFO!.
These are incredible photos. I do love the one of your daughter looking at the eclipse. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a very nice weekend.
What an amazing experience! Good for her that she just upped and went.
I'm in Granada (Spain), so I saw it from the comfort of my house. It was indeed spectacular and then we had a quick sunset too as the whole thing happened in the evening close to sunset.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca
Dear Carola, I am so happy 😊 to see your post. Beautiful photos, dear friend. ❤️ Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead.
Such a great post.
I enjoyed all the photographs and the video.
Many thanks to Kaefer.
All the best Jan
Hi, Carola! Thanks for sharing Kaefer's wonderful eclipse photos and videos. I love her spontaneity and sense of adventure. If I had a little rabbit, I'd be afraid to sit it at the edge of a cliff. Guaranteed I'd accidentally knock it off or a gust of wind would blow it away. 😂. But what a gorgeous, almost mysterious photo, and the blue water picks up the blue in the bunny's checkered ribbon. It's too bad that she didn't get to see the corona of the sun, but it must have been a great experience regardless. Happy weekend!
oh how wonderful! Lovely photos. Have a lovely weekend!
That was an exciting experience for certain, especially since it meant being truly lucky and getting to Mallorca. I actually think that sun image as it sets is the most spectacular. It doesn't look like the sun usually does at that time. But too bad she missed the corona. I had to smile at everyone walking home too. That looks better than the traffic when I saw the one in 2024 and drove home from Vermont. At least walking the "traffic" shouldn't get too backed up. Have a super weekend Carola and rest for your Friday also. hugs-Erika
Now that’s worth a spontaneous visit and the experience was no doubt wonderful. I would have found the crowds very off-putting, however. Kaefer is an adventurous young woman, Carola. Many hugs - David
The perfect Friday Face-off face! And I love Bunny, too! If you're ever going to be spontaneous, isn't this a wonderful event to do it for?
How lucky for Kaefer to be able to be spontaneous like that. The images were stunning even if the clouds got in the way. Thanks for sharing her photos with us. Happy FFO.
What a magnificent experience for her!
Die Sonnenfinsternis war so wunderbar auch bei uns zu sehen und die Begeisterung aller einfach großartig.
Die Fotos von Kaefer sind wunderschön, es ist toll, daß sie so eine spontane Reise unternehmen konnte. Danke, liebe Carola, daß du uns teilhaben läßt.
Mallorca habe ich einmal im April besucht und habe sehr schöne Erinnerungen daran.
Frohen Sonntag und viele liebe Grüße für dich von Viola.
I watched the video and thank you for letting me see it. A total solar eclipse is a miracle because it is not part of our usual rhythm. We are used to the alternation of nights and days, but this is now changing from the usual to something special. An abbreviated version in which the light disappears and then returns, but this process is admired by millions.
Many years ago there was a total solar eclipse in Hungary, and I watched it from my balcony.
After the total darkness, the diamond ring appeared, and then slowly the daylight returned, and I knew that I would never be part of it again. Because I will not travel for it. And it is a pity that I did not do it afterwards, and now I can not do it anymore.
Thank you for the experience you shared with us! Thanks Kaefer too. All the best to you. Éva
Carola, kudos to your daughter for her adventurous and spontaneous decision as aside from the crowds, it looked like a great adventure. Thanks for sharing all of Kaefer's photos.
So nice to see the images Kaefer took of the eclipse. It's a wonderful event to witness. And how lucky to be able to go to Mallorca!
Liebe Carola,
HUI! Was für ein Menschenauflauf 😎! Ich habe gehört, dass der Zustrom nach Mallorca und z.B. auch Madrid enorm gewesen sein soll. Hier war es vergleichsweise harmlos - es gab ja auch keine "Totale" - aber es waren trotzdem so ziemlich alle Feldwege, wo es halbwegs freien Blick auf den Sonnenuntergang gab, gut besucht. (Habe in meinem vorigen Post ein paar Bilder gezeigt, ich weiß nicht, ob du sie gesehen hast.) Kaefer war wirklich gut gerüstet, mit Eclipse-Brille UND Stirnlampe - Gratulation! Schade, dass gerade der Corona-Moment dann von Wolken verdeckt wurde, aber ich bin überzeugt, dass es trotzdem ein ganz und gar besonderes Erlebnis für sie war.
Ich habe dir (glaube ich) versprochen, dass ich dir Bescheid gebe, wenn ich Fotos von unserer Kojoten-Begegnung in BC poste. In meinem aktuellen Post gibt es mal die von der ERSTEN Sichtung zu sehen - Fortsetzung folgt...
Alles Liebe, 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/08/reisebericht-2025-hope-manchmal-ist.html
El reportaje me ha parecido precioso,. Por donde yo vivo se vio hasta el 97 por ciento y fue muy bonito, estuvimos en un pantano, solo mis dos hijas, mi marido, el perrito y yo. Abrazos para los tres.
Post a Comment